My Blog List

Saturday, 28 May 2011

"Even the biggest failure beats the hell out of never trying."

Yesterday evening, they made me play piccolo...

While I do love the piccolo, at home, when there's nobody else in, when I'm feeling particularly ambitious, it is totally unfair how last night went! Well, just this week in general, as far as piccolos are concerned.
On Saturday, my dad revealed to Cathy (whilst at the Garden Party, watching me fail on the alto flute) that I own a piccolo. She told me to bring it to my lesson on Thursday, which I did, with a slighly worried sense of dread. But we didn't have time to play it in my lesson, so I thought I was free... but no. Just as I was leaving Maestros, we walked past John (Training Band conductor) and Cathy thought it'd be a good idea to let him know I had a piccolo. He told me to bring it to band the next day. 

Friday, piccolo in bag, with the intention of keeping it there, I turned up to Mezzos and Bryony immediately declared "Alicia! Is that your piccolo!? Maybe you should play it today!" (because she's such a good friend ;) ) Tess was all set to make me play it, when we decided to merge with seniors, so I was left playing it next to somebody who is actually a bit of a picc god, if I'm honest, feeling a little silly - at least with bass and alto they're low pitched, so nobody hears if you make a mistake. Everyone hears the picc. Cathy said I played well, considering the circumstances. I laughed.

Training Band was less embarassing, due to the fact that nobody can hear you, because the saxs and brass drown everyone else out ;) but still... piccolo D:

At the same time, I do love the piccolo, and now have an incentive to actually practice it, so I don't sound like a fool. Which is all good, I think :S
xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment