My Blog List

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

No more lessons until September! Just the small matter of GCSEs then... :L

I'm having some thoughts. They are really quite angry thoughts. Again, they've stemmed from Biology revision. Stem cells...

I happen to be for stem cell research. If we can develop a way in which embryonic stem cells can be conditioned to the point where they may cure someone of paralysis, then I'm all for it. As long as it doesn't involve killing. Which it doesn't. (Well not technically speaking, but I'll explain.) This is where I start getting annoyed.

It is my belief that you should not take life for food; I don't think it's justified.

However, when posed with the fact that plants are alive, and I eat vegetables, I am quick to point out that plants are not conscious, that is, capable of thought.

Then there are those who argue that because an embryo cannot give permission, using it for research or treatment of others is a violation of its human rights. These people argue that an embryo, a mere group of CELLS, no less, has human rights. According to my reasoning, which I stand by, it is more than justifiable to use embryonic stem cells. They are not conscious/capable of though; and in that respect are no different to a plant cell. How can an embryo have rights, when plant cells certainly don't? And how is it, that some of these same people, are then okay with eating an animal that has been reared and then killed for the purpose of nothing more than food, even though the nutrients provided by meat can be found from other sources. This is a source of much frustration. Fine. Eat meat. But do not argue that you shouldn't do embryonic research, which can provide cures for so many thousands of people, all of whom would otherwise have no prospect of a better quality of life, is unjustified because it is a violation of human rights.

I know that there are many people against embryonic research for other reasons, and I realise I havn't really accounted for that, so I should probably mention that not all people against embryonic research are (in my opinion) hypocrites. Some of them even have very valid arguments, which I will not bore you by countering here. But yeah. Embryonic research. Good thing. ;) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment