My Blog List

Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Sixth Form and well...

Today was a shortened school day, with no normal lessons. We had a sixth form induction thing, some of which was really useful, some of which was... well, yeah. The best bit for me was definitely when we were given the opportunity to talk to some current year 13s about A level choices, life in sixth form, etc. without any teachers present. Which meant we could also ask about teachers and they were free to say if they thought a subject wasn't very good. The teachers do the promoting and try to get you to stay at Kendrick, though they say you're totally free to leave if you wish, there are quite a lot of times where you feel an assumption is being made that you will stay. I'm not leaving though.

Then this evening (after being let out at 2.10ish) a group of us went into town and ate at a restaurant called Zizzis, which we got at £10 for two main courses, an amazing price considering without the offer the mains were about £8-£10 each. We decided not to have puddings and went to Krispy Kreme and Starbucks instead.

At 6.30 we returned to school for the Sixth Form Open Evening, which was cool. A lot of it was just Kendrick promoting, aimed at outsiders (as I think of them - really just prospective new girls), but I got a chance to speak to Frau Alderson (my current German teacher, who's really, really good) twice about A level German, and just the language in general. She's promised to set me up with some German books to read, because my idea of reading some children's books and working up isn't going amazingly, as I don't have the vocabulary of a German child, because I don't generally need to know the word for undergrowth or moss in the syllabus. So she's going to get out some more challenging books, but books that will cover the right vocabulary for me. Which I was pleased with. I'm really looking forwards to As and A2 German, it's an amazing subject and I love the teachers.

I've also had a look at Critical Thinking as an A level, and it looks really interesting. I know in some Unis it might not count or whatever, but I like the look of it as a subject, and as it's only an extra, I can easily justify dropping it after As if the workload's too much.

So I think that's going to be Chemistry, Biology (in which I am going to have to force myself to come to terms with the idea that the dissection will help me, the fact that an animal died for it will just be something I have to disagree with and get on with, because Mr Hodge informed me that even after A level, when studying veterinary I will have to do dissection), German, Maths (I'm thinking Statistics, not Mechanics) and Critical Thinking.

Oooh this may be a really boring post for you to read. I apologise. To be honest, if you didn't want to hear about my boring life and my ideas for Sixth Form, there was a clue in the title, so I'm not entirely to blame.
Goodnight,
Alicia xx

p.s. by the way, hi Andrew, who is now following me and (insanely) has managed to read through every single blog archive (for which I respect him, thank him (because I've taken this as a chance to have a look at how my life was working), and also think he may be slightly out of his mind). So yeah, hi there!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia :P Yeah, I finished at just before midnight yesterday! You certainly have an interesting life :) See you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog again :) ahaaa I find it interesting

    OMG OMG you're like copying me!! Or I'm copying you... great minds think alike ;P I was going to do (and still am going to do) German, Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, and either Biology or psychology. Or both if I can :) Only difference is I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do afterwards... For some reason I really don't want to go to uni...

    Hope you're ok =) Haven't seen you in ages!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're copying me ;) ive known ill do german since forever. but yeah. i did get a bit annoyed because id also love to do philosophy and politics and physics (with the right teacher) and i wanted to give gcse spanish a try, but obviously that would be an insane workload!
    hope youre having fun and all that. and that you arent injured again ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete