Ahhh, look, I used alliteration. That's something I'd completely forgotten about.
Yesterday we travelled down to Exmouth, where Grandma Gwen (who's actually just my dad's old foster mum, but a grandma all the same) lives. It's her 90th birthday on Tuesday and Barney and I are still at school, so obviously we won't be able to visit her. So we got up early and left the house at seven - bear in mind, it's a weekend, seven is early - managing to arrive at about ten thirty, ahead of schedule.
To celebrate we upgraded from the usual pub lunch to lunch in a five star hotel restaurant in Torquay or Torbay or whatever it's called. Only it turned out the restaurant wasn't open, so we ate in the bar section. I think I managed to pick out the best option out of the five of us, which is surprising as the vegetarian selection is always limited and usually less than appetising. But I ordered a delicious home-made four seasons pizza. While my mum had a salmon salad, Daddy had chicken caesar salad, Toby had pasta and meetballs and I think Barney had the same. Oh, and we ordered a bowl of chips for us three to share. But obviously Toby doesn't know the meaning of sharing, so I had a measly total of six chips. Out of the whole bowl.
Anyway, as we left the restaurant, my parents mentioned that it hadn't quite been what they were expecting - not quite like when they stayed there with Gwen and Peter (her late husband). And we set off around the bay (I think) to come to a place called Babbacombe, where we searched for a cafe for afternoon tea. Very civilised.
We found one! And WOW I never thought much of cream teas before, but the choice they had! It was amazing. Fruit scones, plain scones, cherry scones, white chocolate scones, dark chocolate scones, ginger scones, cheese scones. You never knew there could be so many different types of scones. And teas too! You don't have to like normal tea to have a cream tea. I had peppermint tea and stem ginger scones with devonshire clotted cream, rhubarb and ginger jam and pear and ginger jam. And wow. I was so impressed; it wasn't just good food, good service, good location, but also, also good atmosphere. But if you're ever in Torquay or specifically Babbacombe, go there. It's called Angels and it. is. amazing.
49 Babbacombe Downs Road,
Torquay,
TQ1 3LP
Goodnight xx
No comments:
Post a Comment